Thursday 27 September 2012

A Twist is the story of the Trusted steed!



Hello all, I realise it has only been 24 hours since my last post and you are probably wondering what on earth I could possibly have to say since then, but a very tragic event has transpired. Remember that bicycle, the one I was telling you about yesterday with such pride? It has been taken from me by an evil opportunistic thief, with great taste apparently.

I entered a shop, in a nice neighbourhood of Bogota, left the bike half way in the door of the shop so as to keep an eye on it, I didn't feel it necessary to lock it up as I was only going to be there for 2 minutes. As I was paying I caught some movement in my peripherals and instantly realised what was happening. My reptilian brain kicked in and I shot out the door in pursuit, followed the only person I could see on a bike for several blocks, sprinted my skinny little legs off but I realised after a while that it wasn't my bike, I had been chasing and shouting at some poor guy who was probably thinking he was about to be robbed himself. It then dawned on me that my beloved bike will never be seen again, such a big city, it could be anywhere within 10 minutes and I cant run indefinitely in all directions, its just not possible. It will probably be sold into the bike slave industry and live out a horrific existence in the hands of some bigoted bicycle beater. I cant bear thinking of it.

So my trip will be temporarily postponed until I can raise some money to replace the bike and gear. I will try to find a job here in Bogota for a month or so and I have set up a campaign with indiegogo to try and raise some money for a new bike, you can see it here... if you care.  http://igg.me/p/241867?a=1487771

I am trying to see the bright side of all this, so far haven't come up with much. Except maybe that now I know  how to say 'my bike has been stolen' in Spanish. plus the guy in the shop gave me a free lolly pop after he realised what had happened.  I am sure this event will open up a new path and something positive will happen as a result somewhere down the line.


2 comments: