Tuesday 6 November 2012

Pedalling!

2/11/2012
My wonderful hosts
Last Friday after a late night of dancing salsa and 4 hours sleep, I finally left my nice comfortable room in the city, packed everything I own on my bike and hit the road. It was the first time I had sat on the thing fully loaded and as I pointed myself down the road and waved goodbye to my house mates I must have looked like i had never used a bike before, It took a km or two of feeling like Bambi before I got used to the weight and balance of the thing. I dont know or want to know how much it weighs, a lot is about as concise a measurement as i can give. Leaving Bogota was less than pleasant, If the city was a living organism i think i would have been exiting from its arse, but once i had left the city it was a great ride . Luckily for me this first leg Bogota to Anapoima was pretty much all down hill, of the 87km I'm guessing only about 20 were climbing. there was a stretch of about 40km downhill in one hit, A taste of the good times to come without having to experience the pain of 40km of uphill first. In Anapoima I spent a great few days with a friend of mine Laura from Bogota at here family house, Her Mother and Aunt were way to kind, they treated my like a king and fed me nonstop for which |I am truly grateful.
Laura and I

05/11/2012
The second day on the bike was not as pleasant as the first, but still relatively straight forward. Started of with a rainstorm, an opportunity to test how waterproof my stuff is, and was very refreshing as the normal climate in Anapoima is way to hot for me. The route was fairly flat, with rolling hills. I met another cyclist and we chatted for a while on the road, later I passed his house and I was invited in for a cold drink. After 90km I was exhausted  At a small town named Gualanday I attempted to find a place to camp but there wasn't a place i felt safe leaving my stuff because the police told me I would get robbed, didn't feel like climbing the hill out of the town so I took up an offer from a nice guy named Jimmy at a restaurant who offered that I could camp in his back garden, Little did i realise that i would be spending the night with a nice family of squealing pigs and a very timid dog who spend alot of time barking at me but ran away every time i so much as flinched. To be honest despite the less the fresh air and the less than harmonious chatter of the pigs i was so tired I actually slept pretty well.
hotel

my piggy friends








                     




I am writing to you from the city of Ibague where i am stalling time and resting my backside (my ridiculously small saddle does a good job of preventing chaffing but its far from comfortable).before commencing the 87km of uphill climbing I have ahead of me.

1 comment: